Monday, May 25, 2015

Puquois - Beautiful Spiral Wells in Nazca, Peru

In Nazca Peru, after flying over the mysterious lines in the desert, our guide offered to take us to the 'Aqueducts' or Puquois. I admit, I wasn't really that keen on going - I was imagining Roman  aqueducts that I'd seen in the past. Thank goodness I didn't say it out loud! What a special place!   

Large spirals were dug into the earth with walls created from small stones. One could walk the path down the spiral to the crystal clear source of water.  These beautiful yet utilitarian structures were created by the Nazca people over 2000 years ago as a system to irrigate the arid land.  There are around 36 with most still in use by local farmers.

For a spiral lover like myself, an artist who uses the spiral as inspiration and as a symbol of renewal and regeneration - this was truly a blessing. I felt connected with those who lovingly built these earthen spirals. I took a sip of the spring-fed water and felt I was back in the womb of mother earth.
These ancient earthworks brought to mind artist Robert Smithson's 'Spiral Getty' in Great Salt Lake, Utah from the 1970's. I wonder if he knew of those that came before him....







No comments:

Post a Comment